Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Temporary Escape

There are several wellness components that assist in nurturing positive steps toward achieving good health while living with cancer.
Nutrition is a key element and I will address some specifics in my next blog.
Some form of exercise, however minimal, is a must even if dragged down by fatigue; it provides oxygen and clears the chemo cobwebs. For me, that means housework as usual or a walk to the mailbox at my own pace. My husband, God love him, had a fit when he saw me cleaning the pool today. (Lol) We often have to stop and have a talk. I reminded him, that sick or not, who I am has not changed and that means I need to be actively participating in life. Sitting in a chair is not me, nor will it ever be me. He, on the other hand, reminds me that I never complain which leads him to wonder if I do too much. While that is probably true, I promised to pay more attention to my physical limits in the future.
Communication is another key element on the path to assisting good health; you must talk, either with your spouse, significant other or kids, parents or friends, doctors or someone….you must talk about how you feel, what you feel, what you desire in life and yes, what you desire in death.
Meditation is a must…for some people this can be structured: yoga, tai chi, transcendental mediation or perhaps only 20 minutes of uninterrupted quiet time. Stop the hectic world we experience and,in total silence, simply breathe…and listen to yourself breathe as you come down from that level of stress that sabotages our anti-cancer efforts.
This past week hubby and I flew away to Oregon to see our youngest daughter and husband, their brand new home finally finished, and two adorable grandsons, Carson age two and Logan,8 weeks. Considering our financial situation we should not have gone. Considering my diagnosis, how could we not. An opportunity presented itself and I while relatively healthy, I can still shoot hoops with a two year old and nurture a baby…God what a wonderful week. It was cold, rainy and snowy which fired up my neuropathy shocks and I developed a new stomach spasm but I am grateful for the time to love unconditionally, stop worrying about the mechanics of living with cancer, and escape the whole medical environment for a week which passed too quickly.
Back to reality; there was good news upon our return to the desert in that a huge insurance issue has been resolved. There are more but I will work on those, I am, however, always amazed at how helpful others are when asked. I was having no luck at a resolution until others stepped in and took that monkey off my back. I am grateful everyday for the goodness in others.
Tomorrow is my PET scan. This occurs every couple months and gives the doctors a look to see if the chemotherapy treatments are doing any good.This will be my first look after having chemo for awhile. While praying for good results I know that in the long line of people needing miracles, I am way in the back as there are so many others whose conditions are much worse than mine. I will wait my turn, I will be patient, I will trust in the Lord and in my ability to help myself and, I am eternally grateful, every day, for your prayers. Thank you all. We will have results soon on the path of Positive Pursuits.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got some time with the grandbabies, Deb. Looking forward to hearing the PET scan results. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are back and so glad you had a wonderful time!! me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, Debbie! Your positive attitude and joy in life as you are given it is wonderful and an inspiration! Am praying for positive results with your PET scan and for minimal side effects with this week's chemo. Doris :--)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb's Positive Pool Cleaning Service :)

    I am so happy you made the trip!!!!

    ReplyDelete