Thursday, April 29, 2010

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN..THE GOOD NEWS

Okay, now the good news, I know you like to read the good news sooooo here you go!


If you never truly believed in miracles, heads up I believe I have been blessed. You all know I am stage four Colon Cancer…it is the stage where options rarely exist and chemotherapy does not cure, it simply keeps you alive longer or shrinks tumors to the point where surgery is an option, and it is surgery that cures. Today I met with a Liver surgeon at the request of my oncologist who told me that my recent PET scan (which highlights cancer cells at the origin of the tumor, at the area metastasized and any other areas infected) showed significant response to chemotherapy that I needed a liver surgeon on the team. OK for me that was good news as it meant we were doing well and at some point in the future, I may eliminate enough tumors to qualify me for resection of the liver…cut out the remaining shrunken tumors and let my liver grow back healthy. So, I meet with the liver surgeon and say," does my scan show that I may become eligible for surgery? " (Please note, that for stage four this is closely related to being part of the 20% who recover). His response was, your PET scan was so good, that you are a candidate now…. The he showed me the scan. The tumors on the liver (at least 15 plus) originally lit up like the fourth of July on the first scan done before chemotherapy. The second scan done a couple weeks ago, no sign of fireworks…nothing… no tumors are lighting up at all! Are they miraculously gone? Perhaps they are gone or maybe so small now they are not showing up on the scan. In any event, I am now a candidate for liver surgery (which also includes some colon surgery to remove what is left of the original tumor) and my chances are really good? This just does not happen so quick in stage four………….so MIRACLES DO OCCUR and I cannot humbly believe I am worthy but will not argue the Will of my Lord God and Savior, my friends and family who have sent prayers constantly, and to research tools which have taught me, I can participate in the healing process. Now we meet new doctors, schedule this event which will take place at Good Sam Hosp. and I will need to get off chemo for four weeks prior to eliminate the poison, improve my cardio health and diet in preparation. When chemo ends will be up to my oncologist, so we shall see. There is a plan B if we have a fluke and the liver surgeon cannot get all the tumors (if any) left without compromising my health (a certain amount of liver must remain intact to live and grow back) but we will discuss that later if we need to. When I started this blog, I initially said I fully intend to be part of that 20% who recover and we are now on that new path. Thank you all for your prayers, your emails of concern, your thoughts and well wishes for you are one of the healing tools I needed and I am, no matter the outcome, eternally grateful for my family, my friends, my doctors, my ability to stay focused and informed and for my spiritual Healer who holds my life in his hands. Here we go….stay tuned for indeed, miracles can happen. Stay healthy, stay happy and seek only Positive Pursuits.

6 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOOOOO smiling inside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, make that outside too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has truly blessed you, I am so happy for you and your family for the chance at the rich blessings He will provide.
    Sue Mosley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not good news, this is GREAT news!!!!! Your taste buds will come back, my friend. In the grand scheme of things they are not that big a deal! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got prayers here! This is so awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise the Lord! He is awesome! I cannot wait to update the two groups of pray-ers who have been praying for you in the Pacific Northwest!
    Love you, Doris

    ReplyDelete