Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year, New Frustrations

Having taken a month off chemotherapy I feel renewed and ready to face the next year of treatment. I am now filling the coffers of a new insurance company until I can qualify for medicare. It is inhumane the inflated rates allowed to be charged patients but I have no choice but to sell my car, sell my house, sell my soul in order to receive medical treatments that may keep me alive.  It has been five days waiting for a pre-authorization of a PET scan which is required  before I can resume chemotherapy and chemo is required to keep me alive... hence I wait. I find it to be unforgivable that an insurance company who simply needs to check my benefit levels to approve a scan is taking so long. In addition, I am fed up with the maze of telephone extensions it takes to try and find the one person who is allowed to give you a status update on that approval. After two hours of fishing around a telephone system and waiting while listening to over loud elevator music, I gave up. I will try again today. It is no wonder people go postal at the lack of customer service today. If this company were not in another state, I would be inclined to take up arms and go in person to get answers.  It matters not to these folks that their delays in approving a simple scan puts my life at risk. So, while I try to make life simple and happy, things like this drive me nuts and that in and of itself does not improve my health. I had hoped for a better year, I fear my hopes are going to be dashed while already I am sinking in the mire of medical politics and phone systems designed to make you go away unsatisfied. Happy New Year

2 comments: