Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Upcoming Sugery

Okay, there is no doubt I was thrilled to hear I could be a surgical candidate for resection of the liver and colon tumor removal... the only way to obtain a cure. We met with the liver surgeon already...he was optimistic. Met with the colon surgeon today and while optimistic, he is more of a realist and really spelled out what will happen.  This is not a laproscopic surgery but full blown...the liver surgeon will asses his ability to remove ALL remaining tumors, however small. If he can get them all out and save sufficient liver for me to live, he will do so and then the colon surgeon will remove the tumor and the preceeding section of the transverse colon and any lymph nodes in the area, reconnect the colon and then we have more chemo (6 months) then reassess to see if I am clean of cancer activity. But, if the liver surgeon cannot get all the tumors, then I return to chemotherapy for pallative care (keeps me alive as long as possible) and the colon will not undergo surgery. Though not said, basically, why do surgery on the colon if I am going to die anyway....(unsuccessful liver resection).  OK and with surgery there are risks of course of not healing, leakage, infection and on and on and on....and the odds of cure via surgery are at 50%.   Good grief, even the good news is shakey.  In the end after all is said, information is sorted and risks assessed, I have two choices: pallative care without surgery which will end in death albeit they may keep me alive for some years.... or take the risk of cure at 50% with all the risks that go with surgery...   It is a no brainer for me...I will take the risk and will enter this process or eventually leave this world with nothing less than Positive Pursuits. I still believe that all those prayers out there about my condition are helping me get through this. Please, keep me in your prayers a little longer.  Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. You're always in our prayers!!!! We like the "realistic" odds the colon surgeon gave you, they are much better than the odds you were given in the beginning!!!! Madelyn says, "000000000000000!" MWAAAAAAW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it wasn't that long ago when we had the 'original' bad news from you. This is good news Deb. And you're right, it is a no brainer. As always, you're in my thoughts. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Debbie! And you definitely have our prayers! That the liver surgeon has careful capable hands and can get every little speck of cancer off your liver and then the colon surgeon does his thing with precision and care, that you heal completely, receive the remaining chemo treatments and are declared cancer-free!! Why not ask our God for the ultimate? He is awesome and nothing is impossible for Him!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete